Wednesday, January 24, 2007

words of wisdom

today i took a cab ride and the cab driver told me, "i love americans... but your president, he is just so simple in the head." hahaha

i love marrakesh. i feel like it's an adventure every time i leave the door. my roomate, rachel, is like the best person to know in the world- she's been introducing me to people and showing me around quite a bit. and she's already hooked me up with a couple of tutoring clients. tutoring pays quite well- if i get a couple more i should be fine with money and still have pleanty of time for adventuring! shes doing a really interesting fulbright research scholarship dealing with woman's literacy. my other roomate, jordan, is doing his fulbright research in a village in the atlas mountains so he is only in the city for a few days at a time. sometime soon i think i'll join him for one of his village stays- he says its a really beautiful place. oh! we found a new apt. well, rachel did. it's really cute and is in a nice neighborhood in the 'old city.' theoretically its a one bedroom but there is enough common space that the three of us will be quite comfortable. and there is lots of couch space for visitors...

ok, thats all. i think i'm going to go bike shopping now. there are lots of very very vintage bike shops in the market. i think it will be a good way to scoot scoot around the city and do some exploring with a little more ease.

-Maura

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maura,
We are at my sister's house for dinner celebrating your dad's birthday and celebrating Adam being home from Kosovo. He was there doing research. I wanted to show Maital your blog. Your writing really brings us into the streets and scenes of the country.

Hi Maura,
This is Maital..I am ready to sleep on your floor...Morocco seems wonderful. Do you drink coffee with "hell" I think it is arabic for cardamon...Enjoy...Right now we have just finished a birthday celebration dinner for your dad...

Maital

Anonymous said...

Hey shmoops,
This is a surprisingly cool way to hear about your trip so keep it up. I am thinking about going to see the campus travel agent because there a lot of variables in my plan but I am pretty confident I'll be there around the beginning of June...so get a job and a visa.
-B