Monday, March 22, 2010

Back In Action

Hi, I'm back. I've decided to revive this blog instead of creating a new one. Now I'm in Maine, studying Documentary Journalism at the Salt Institute. Apparently anybody who's anybody and anybody who wants to be anybody in the writing world has a blog. "You Blog?" "What's your blog?" Uh, hmm, let me get back to you.

Ok, ok, ok, being a self-proclaimed luddite only holds its charm for so long.

So, here I am. Back in your cyber-vision.

This state is amazing. I've got lots of fun stories to share, but will leak them slowly. This is just a 'hey' post.

In short, I've been exploring Maine in the name of research. I've heard Salt compared to long-form narrative boot camp, and outward bound for journalists. Both seem to be holding true. They actually encourage us to go on a whim, get in our cars and see if we find a story we believe exists. It's awesome.

Currently I'm writing about a shrinking paper-mill in northern Maine, and a shrinking town that depends on the mill. Way Northern Maine. Madawaska. It's about six hours north of Portland, I'm starting to feel like a truck driver and am really sick of everything on my ipod.

Canada stares at Madawaska across a small river - silently bragging better health care, government support for small businesses, and a functional rail system.

More specifically I writing about a guy who is my age and was laid off. He looks like Paul Buynon. He loves work, loves work, loves getting his hands dirty and his back sweaty. He would fix your car if you broke down on the road, and refuse to take the money. He might be able to lift your car up to look at the underside. But loves his hometown too much to leave, even though industry is fleeing as are most young capable people.

It's a downer. I've been learning a lot, and have been made ashamed of my ignorance to rural america. this country is huge! i think i understand like 5.5% of it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Maura,
What a thrill to get your blog back on line. Looking forward to hearing more about your ventures in Maine.
Love,
Marilyn